Regular exercise and good eating habits will help you stay lean and toned during your busy summer. You can easily put on 20 pounds of fat during a 2-week summer vacation! Have fun on your vacation and do fun exercises and workouts.
Clothing usually is looser in the summer to keep us cooler in the summer heat, so keeping up with exercise and eating right is a huge challenge. Since you will wear less clothing in the summer, you want to look good, right? Well, you may need to pay more attention to your diet and level of activity to stay in shape!
While traveling, vacations and summer plans may keep you busy, don’t neglect your workout schedule. You can still exercise and do everything you need to do – including enjoying your summer! You just have to be a little creative.
So, here are my 6 exercise and eating tips for this summer:
1. Never skip both your Friday and Monday workouts. If you do this, you will probably go 4 full days (Fri, Sat, Sun, Monday) without working out. Four missed workout days could turn into weeks, months, summers and years!
2. Get a stability ball, medicine balls, resistance bands and dumbbells to do exercises anywhere, anytime.
3. Walk 30 minutes every day whether you workout or not. This keeps your fat-burning enzymes working for you. For better overall health and fitness, it is critical to be as active as possible every day.
4. Exercise at your hotel while on vacation. Most hotels will have a pool and small gym. Some even have obstacle courses.
5. Don’t forget to “reasonably” (at least 90% compliance) stay on your meal plan.
Plan your menus and pack your food during the summer and when on vacation. You can also plan healthy meals at the restaurants you will be visiting. This will help you avoid the fast food trap and binge eating.
You know the food traps found in airport or roadside restaurants. The food choices are usually high-calorie, high-carb and high-fat. And, you know how much money you can waste at these food establishments.
Haphazard eating or grazing will skyrocket your calories and pack pounds on your body. Eat plenty of high-protein and high-fiber foods to keep your blood sugar levels more steady and to stay fuller for longer.
The simple solution is to plan and pack nutritious foods like lean meats, salad greens, nuts, fruit, yogurt, yogurt smoothies, vegetables, etc. If you drink coffee, skip the high-calorie designer coffees.
TIP: If you eat at a restaurant, skip the appetizers and breadsticks before your meal. Request that your foods not be fried, dipped in butter, etc. to keep the calories down.
6. Drink plenty of water. This will help you limit sugary drinks that pack on pounds and belly fat. Your body is about two-thirds water. It will help you eat less and help your body function better.
TIP: Drink about half your weight in water every day. So, if you weigh 160 pounds, drink about 80 ounces of water each day.
Take care this summer, have fun and keep exercising. Take advantage of the extra daylight during the summer and stay active.
Click here for more